Thursday, December 5, 2013

Toddler Hair Winter Care


Winter begins December 21st.
In preparation for a new season of hair care, I've packed up half the shampoos, and am stocking up on shower caps for moisture rich days, and satin scraps for the chill claws of the season.

I've successfully completed Toddler-Girls's first Hot Oil treatment last night and recognize child protective services has enough photographic evidence of my wrapping this little girls hair up in a plastic bag to red flag me.. SO.. Plastic caps (although not as cost effective for units of all races w/o altered hair structure) is going to be added to my Natural Young Thangz Winter Regime.

I kept the bag wrapped and tucked with a child-sized full headband securing it away from her crown allowing the oils to drip down.


It's her and me and I have to find the balance of occupying Toddler Girl's attention while sectioning and detangiling her hair for d.S twists and occasional twisted rows and bantu knots.
She's begun imaginative play, curtsey's well, and counts beautifully.

I've paused to question myself, tripped over grass, and Ms. Cabrera summed up my year as a tragic airplane crash.

* * *

As of Feb 13th, I was able to give my 2yr a full head {8 in all} of bantu knots.

And although the picture above has to be altered for her actual rear-of-head-photo, this picture was far closer {my toddler girls hair is much thicker} in comparison to what I did as opposed to a lot of the wrong I saw going on in the web with the same search "toddler bantu knot"..


If you want bangs, don't pull the hair follicle to the back with such visible tension.  If you want to stretch the hair, don't double up on the braids and then twist.  It just causes more tension {stress} on your tresses.

how NOT to bantu:: Traditionally bantu knots are meant to be worn in sections that your natural hair grown from the scalp is attempting to curl form to.  Essentially, "which way do you want your hair to grow?  Moisturize it, seal the moisture, then detangle from the root in the direction you want your hair to ultimately lay, twist from root, spiral the twist to the tip of your hair and then wrap that cord round and round the base of the root until the grandfather tips of your {or your sitter's} hair may be tucked {or wrapped} under.

And attempt to avoid as much cotton {moisture absorption hair tools} as possible especially on the tips of your hair which need the most moisture for visible length retention.

No comments:

Post a Comment